The Transformative Leadership Course is a ten-hour non-credit online course provided by Virginia Commonwealth University’s Center for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Care.
The course will provide an opportunity for students and providers in the health professions to gain the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes in leadership to provide frontline leadership that improves patient outcomes. Paired with the expertise of students and practitioners in their area of practice, this course seeks to provide the systems knowledge, leadership skills, and attitudinal foundation to lead innovation in an ever-changing health care environment. This training will be beneficial to anyone working in a team-based health care environment. Course objectives include:
- identifying personal leadership strengths and weaknesses and discuss the application of these strengths and weaknesses across contexts/different situations;
- recognizing how individual differences affect team function;
- comparing and contrasting different approaches for leading teams across contexts;
- identifying effective communication strategies for giving feedback, navigating conflict, and engaging in negotiations; and
- describing how changes in health care policy and payment are reshaping health care delivery.